Tuilerie Street and Boston Street were located on the site of the Farm and Haggerston Park. In 1898 they were occupied by well-to-do boot, cabinet and mantua makers. Both were heavily damaged by bombs in the Second World War (1939-1945) and gradually demolished between the 1940s and 1980s.
Tuilerie Street, pronounced ‘Toolerie’, was named after the French word for tile, as there had been a tile manufacturer on this site since 1814. The street sign is still visible now.
The former mobile housing can be seen on the right hand side of this picture.
Image courtesy of London Borough of Hackney Archives.